Cozumel (Cuzamil in Yucatec Mayan language: island of swallows), is one of the wonderful small Mexican islands: like Isla Mujeres, or Hol Box, which embellish the Mexican geography and offer tourists a dream place for their enjoyment and fun. Being the third largest and the second most populated in the country, it is located in the southeast of Mexico, in the Caribbean Sea, about fifty kilometers from Cancun.
It is said that before the arrival of the Spanish conquerors the island was part of the province of Ecab and was the seat of a sanctuary dedicated to Ixchel, the Mayan goddess of fertility. The place was the destination of a long pilgrimage undertaken by the couples of the empire to ask for a child and to which the farmers went to ask for a good harvest.
What to do in Cozumel?
Cozumel stands out for its natural beauty, for its exceptional geography and for the diversity of its flora and fauna. In addition, with the boom in Cancun and the Riviera Maya in recent decades, investment in the island’s tourism industry has increased, so it has a magnificent infrastructure to offer visitors a dream vacation.
Places to visit in Cozumel:
- Diving off the coast of Cozumel: Cozumel has an incredible and beautiful area of coral reefs, which makes it one of the best places in the world to practice diving. In any of the more than 40 official diving areas that the island has, you can enjoy observing the underwater fauna, entering the wonderful tunnels and caves that intertwine under the waters of the Mexican Caribbean.
- Playa de El Cielo: This beautiful beach with turquoise blue waters, stretches along the southern coast of the island of Cozumel. The viewer is captivated by the large number of starfish in the shallow waters of the beach, or what makes this an ideal setting for snorkeling, diving, or simply relaxing on the sand.
- San Gervasio: The archaeological site of San Gervasio is made up of the remains of some Mayan constructions, among which the sanctuary dedicated to Ixchel, the Mayan goddess of fertility, stands out.
- Isla de la Pasión: With a little less than two kilometers of extension that extend along the north end of Cozumel, the Island of the Passion was a sacred place for the Mayans, who considered it a space blessed by fertility. Currently there are many who choose it to celebrate their wedding.
- Historic Center: The best way to get into the history and culture of Cozumel is to get to know its main monuments.
How to get to the island of Cozumel?
To get to Cozumel you will have to do it through the ferry. This is taken at the ferry terminal from the city of Playa del Carmen. Keep in mind that you can rent a car in this city and travel on the ferry to Cozumel in your car, which will make it easier for you to travel the entire island in less time, not counting the comfort facilities that having your own car offers you.
- 78Near the city of Tulum, the Xel-Há natural park with its caves, trails, cenotes, rivers and lakes forms a natural framework in the middle of the jungle of the Mexican Yucatan, which makes it an unbeatable destination for an exceptional vacation. Some 70 hectares of land and 14 hectares of…
- 577 Must Visit Island Destinations In The World Marvellous seashores, smooth warm oceans, lavish landscape, and perpetual sunshine: These are a portion of the top elements of the ideal island destinations. In any case, every place has its own charms. Some stun with their natural excellence. Others add cultural attractions…